Organizing Your Writing Projects

 
Hello hello! Welcome back to Mayhem & Magic! Big post up ahead, featuring some craft talk but also a bunch of exciting things coming up!! Read on! 

Today, I thought I'd touch on some craft-related things, since I haven't talked about the writing process in a while. So let's talk about organization. Specifically, let's talk about organizing writing projects so we don't sob into a pile of random papers and index cards with one incomprehensible sentence on them.

Disclaimer: I will be going over the organization strategies that have historically worked for me, and that I use to help keep my projects straight. These methods will probably not work for everyone, because every writer is different and our brains all work in different ways! And that is ok! But if you're over there with 80 notebooks and a hot mess of a hard drive and you're like "Talli help idk where any of my worldbuilding notes are," hopefully this helps you out a bit!

My organization methods for my writing projects change depending on how committed to a project I am. They also change depending on how far into a project I am. For example, The Oracle Stone has a folder on my computer containing my Word and Scrivener files, a folder in my Google drive containing stuff like the synopsis, a section in my story binder (more on that in a minute), several sets of index cards, and a designated note on my phone. I'm not one of those authors who designates an entire notebook to each book I write (though I kinda wish I was), so my scribbled drafts of The Oracle Stone are kinda everywhere. But since that book has been with me for so long and gone through so many iterations, I have to keep everything sorted in folders so I don't lose things. It keeps me sane. 

Similarly, I have all of the above for my Demons trilogy, too, since those books are my main commitment. Other, newer projects might have a Google drive folder if I've got, say, a document for outlining the plot and another for actually writing it, but I think of it as a rite of passage to even give the book a Scrivener file. If I get through 10k or more on a project in Word or Google Docs, that probably means I'm in it for the long haul, and then it gets moved to Scrivener. Which, by the way, Scrivener has done wonders for organizing multiple drafts of the same book (or multiple books in the same series; I have all 3 of my Demons books and all their drafts are all in the same Scrivener file). If you're serious about committing to a book for the long haul, I definitely recommend Scrivener. It's worth the price and the slight learning curve.

Anyway! Allow me to organize this blog post. Look, I love organizing things. So my top 3 organization strategies for writing projects are:

Designated folder. Hard drive, Google drive, whatever. Have a folder for your WIP and keep everything related to that WIP in that folder. If you're feelin' really wild, have a folder for your WIP and then more folders inside for characters, world, plot, etc. Since four of my WIPs/books take place in the same universe, I have one big folder for the world as a whole, and then individual folders in there for each book or series.

Index cards. If you're a plantser (pantser + planner) like me and you're allergic to outlining things, you might scoff at this suggestion, but listen I'm telling you, index cards will save your life when you're at the editing stage. This method works best after you've got a first draft and can literally lay out all your chapters in front of you. I fill out an index card for each chapter with brief bullet points of what happens in that chapter, and it really helps me visualize the plot's pacing and if things should be moved around. It's a great way to get a bird's eye view of your book.

Story binder. This was an idea I first saw on Tumblr a hot minute ago, and while I have neglected my story binder lately, it's truly an awesome tool. Simple: you get a three-ring binder and some dividers, and you put all the stuff you have for your WIP in the binder according to the sections you create. In mine, I have it divided into Characters, Plot, World, and Research. It's a super useful way to keep all your notes in one spot if you're the type of person who prefers physical pages over digital files.

Those are historically the best strategies that work for me, but again, every single writer is different. If you want a whole notebook devoted to only one project, go for it! If you're like, "Talli, on god, I will never outline a thing in my life so just keep your index cards to yourself thanks," that's cool too! I'd say I'm with you there, but unfortunately outlining has been saving my life recently and I have had a lot of trouble drafting without an outline, so I think my pantsing days are coming to an end 😭 Does this simply mean I'm growing as a writer and wish to make my first drafts less messy? Perhaps! But man I hate outlining lmao.

Another note: I will also recommend having the majority of your notes in one spot, especially when you start to learn new things about your characters and world and those notes change. I've run myself in circles before by having a page of notes in my Scrivener file, a document of plot things in my Google drive, and stuff jotted down in my notes app –– and none of it is consistent. Which of these is more up to date? Which of these isn't true anymore? What have I changed since I wrote this note? Who knows?? Not me!! So if you're going to jot down things about your characters and plot and world, I highly recommend confining it to a single document that stays in a place you can find it and are most likely to look for it. For me, I use the Notes section of Scrivener because it's easily accessible as I'm writing. For you, it might be a note on your phone or a Google doc or even a physical notebook. Whatever floats your boat!

I think that's all I have to say about organization... For now, hehe. As writers, we all learn as we go, so I'm sure I'll figure out new and better ways to keep my life together, and when that day comes, I'll be sure to share that revelation. But for now, there's just me and my ten thousand index cards (color coded, of course). 

Now! On to the exciting things!

First on the list: Starting next Friday, I'll be posting interviews with fellow indie authors on this blog! I have interviews scheduled through the end of the year, and it works out to about 2 (sometimes 3) per month. I am so excited that I got so many responses when I threw this idea out on Twitter!! So stay tuned to get to know some other awesome authors with wonderful books. First interview will be posted next Friday, May 28!

Next: I am so HYPE to announce that The Oracle Stone will soon be available in hardback!! Two special editions of my debut fantasy book will be available to purchase via Barnes and Noble, both of which will include a bonus scene cut from an earlier draft of the book and annotated by me. You have your choice between a hardback with the original cover, and a hardback with a dust jacket illustrated by yours truly. And honestly, if I were you, I'd grab the dust jacket copy ;) 

The release date for these gorgeous special editions is August 1, and I'll have pre-order links and info soon! Until then, I'll continue to gaze lovingly at my proof copies of the books and take aesthetic pictures of them. 

That's all for today! If you're on Twitter, feel free to hop in and join us for #WOWchat (Writers of Wonder Chat) at 2pm EST to make writer friends and chat about your WIPs! You can find more info on my Twitter @TLM_writes. 

See y'all next week!

 

Website | Twitter | Instagram | Goodreads | Buy My Book


Comments