Books of February & March

 


Hello hello! Somehow, it's the end of March, so this week's blog is a quick recap of what I've been reading over the past two months. I didn't get through a lot in February, but despite feeling like I'm in a reading slump, I read a bunch in March. 



Let's start with some stellar graphic novels! I am physically incapable of leaving my job without at least one graphic novel I picked up because it looked pretty, and I've found some gems! The MG and YA graphic novel scene is fire rn. There's truly some awesome books out there.

Juliet Takes A Breath by Gabby Rivera and Celia Moscote is a beautiful YA graphic novel based on a book of the same title. The artwork is gorgeous and the story is really self-affirming and optimistic. I've always loved a positive queer coming out/coming of age story, and this one is just so good. Highly recommend!

I really enjoyed The Witch Boy by Molly Ostertag! Maybe it's just me (though I kinda doubt it), but I def picked up some queer/trans/gender metaphors in this one, and I loved that it turned out to be a story of acceptance and embracing differences. It has a solid message of "just because we've always done it this way doesn't mean it always has to be this way" and I am so here for that. 

Beetle and the Hollowbones by Aliza Layne is such a FUN book. The artwork is stunning, and the characters are quirky, funny, and lovable. It definitely didn't go where I expected, but I enjoyed every page and I could read at least a dozen more books in this same world. It also has a tiny and adorable romance subplot that I loved.

Staying in the middle grade lane for a moment... 

Spin With Me by Ami Polonsky is a cute and fun read. I enjoyed it for the most part, though I would've liked to connect to the characters more. And as much as I love the recent increase in MG books with queer and nonbinary characters, I probably wouldn't recommend this one as a starter. To me, it read somewhat like one of those books that's about queer people but for straight people. I won't get into all that, but this book just didn't feel as authentic as it could have been. 

George by Alex Gino, on the other hand, made me cry bittersweet tears. The ending absolutely punched me in the heart. This is such a wonderful and important book and all I could think when I finished it is, I am so glad this book exists. I am so glad trans kids (and all kids too) get to grow up with this book. This is a book I would throw at everyone I see. 

And now for YA!

Tarnished Are the Stars by Rosiee Thor is officially one of my favorite books. I don't read a ton of sci-fi or post-apocalypse books, but I loved how character-centric this one is, and the plot kept me guessing until the end. I wish there were 8 sequels because I could stay with this cast forever. 

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds is an old favorite. I re-read it for class in February, and it still hits different. This is an excellent book, and a quick yet emotional read. I also highly recommend the audiobook, which is read by the author, and listening to it as you read along yourself is an awesome experience.

And last but not least, Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo are forever faves. I'm re-reading the trilogy leading up to the Netflix series premiere on April 23, and I'm just having a great time. I love these books. I love this world. I throw this series at teens at work often, so if you haven't read them, I highly, highly recommend!

I would have loved to get through more books these past two months, but to be fair... I have also been writing and revising a whole-ass book, so that plus work plus grad school has taken up a lot of my time. But I have so many books to read and new ones coming out every month (sob) and it is STRESSFUL. This is a stressful lifestyle lmao.

So that's all for my book recs for now, but here's some ~life updates~

What I'm reading: Currently on Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo and am way behind with that, seeing as how I'm supposed to be done with it by tomorrow evening (oops). I'm also working through Ravage the Dark by Tara Sim, and plan to start They Both Die At the End by Adam Silvera and Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko soon. Yes, I am insane, thank you.

What I'm writing: I have only THREE chapters left to revise of THE DEMON MAGE, then it's time for a readthrough and some final fixes and then it goes into the query trenches once again! Just in time for Camp NaNoWriMo, during which I will be attempting to draft TWO novels: the sequel to The Oracle Stone, and my dear, dreaded necromancer book. We'll, uh, see how this goes.

On a final note, today (March 26) is the LAST DAY you can grab The Oracle Stone for free on Kindle! If you like found family, rivalry, quest narratives, and disaster protagonists, this is the book for you! You can find it right here!!



Thanks for reading, and I'll see y'all next week!

Website | Twitter | Instagram | Goodreads

Comments