Old Year, New Year

 

We're officially a week into 2021! And... we made it six whole days without something catastrophic happening...! Wow! 🙃

Anyway, with this being my first ~official~ blog post, I thought it'd be a good start to talk about some books, past and future. I want to share my top ten reads from 2020, and then some of my most anticipated 2021 releases. Then a writing update, then a book update, then I'm gonna go bake a pie. Let's go!

 

TALLI'S TOP TEN 2020 READS

These books kept me sane through the madness that was last year, and I read some heart-pounding sequels and found some excellent gems. Also note, these aren't in any particular order; you can't possibly make me choose my favorite book from last year.


1. The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

This was probably my most anticipated read of 2020 and it did Not disappoint. This gorgeous book enchanted me from page one until the very end, as V.E. Schwab's writing often does.
 

 

 


2. The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon

Despite it's 800+ pages, I read this book in less than a week and was left wishing for more even after all that. It is one of the best high fantasy novels I've ever read. The plot is impossibly intricate and twisty, and though I don't usually enjoy court intrigue, this one did it in a way I didn't mind. Also there's dragons. And the main characters are hella queer. What's not to love?
 

 

3. Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

I will scream about this book until the day I die. It ripped my heart out while also making me laugh and restoring some hope in humanity. It is, honest to god, one of the best novels out there right now. Do yourself a favor and read this book; it'll hit different in the wake of that tumultuous election.
 

 

 

4. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

 I listened to the truly excellent audiobook of this one, and all I can say is, wow. Reading this over the summer in the wake of countless BLM protests and the events of this book basically playing out in real time in real life was surreal. It is an important, incredible, excellent book that literally everyone should read.

 

 

 

5. All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn Grace

Can I start by saying, look at that absolutely GORGEOUS cover and tell me you wouldn't grab that up in the bookstore. That's... precisely what I did, and I found a delightful and exciting story inside! The fantastic worldbuilding and page-turning plot had me tearing through this one in like two days (it would've been one day but I had to stop myself bc I didn't want it to end lol).
 

 

6. Scavenge the Stars by Tara Sim

Fantasy retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo? Yes, PLEASE! This was going to be a definite read even before I knew the plot; Tara Sim is one of my "I'd read literally anything she writes even if it's a grocery list" authors. This book is a LOT of fun, the characters are hot messes and I love them, and I am very very excited for the sequel coming out soon.
 

 

7. What I Carry by Jennifer Longo

Once again, I was drawn to this one thanks to its gorgeous cover, and I ended up absolutely loving the story. It's different from what I usually read (I really need to get better about reading contemporary fiction so I don't miss gems like this), but I'm so glad I found it because it instantly became one of my favorites. It's equal parts fun and emotional, and *clenches fist* the found family is just UGH so good.
 

 

8. Ruthless Gods by Emily A. Duncan

Hang on, I gotta just. I gotta scream for a second. 

Okay. This book. deep breaths. The anxiously-awaited sequel to WICKED SAINTS, this book had me YELLING through the very last page and then I had to stare at the wall (at 3am) for a solid five minutes while I processed everything that had just happened. I am losing my MIND waiting for the last book in this heart-pounding trilogy, and I am SUPER NOT READY for it to end. If you want something truly wild and twisty that'll make you be like, "Oh my god, she can't do that, can she? Oh my god she did that," this series is for you.

9. As the Shadow Rises by Katy Rose Pool

Once again, I need to scream. This is the sequel to THERE WILL COME A DARKNESS, and hooooBOY did this book have me on the edge of my seat. I screamed through this one too, I have so many concerns for every single character, and I just. I need the third book, but AGAIN, I don't want it to END because that means it's DONE. Anyway, yet another heart-racing, gut-punching trilogy right here. I'll recommend to the end of my days.

 

10. Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas

This one was SO GOOD and *clutches heart* I would literally die for the main characters. What a beautiful, rich, funny, important little book. This was also one of my most anticipated reads of 2020, and once again it did not disappoint. I tore through it so fast but I think I have to read it again bc it went by too fast.
 

 

 

BONUS: Beyond the Ruby Veil by Mara Fitzgerald

Did you really think I'd be able to constrain myself to just 10? Of course not! So here's an honorable mention that I literally read in one sitting. This book was TWISTY and shocking around every turn. Descent into villainy, anyone? The MC is unhinged and I love her so much. This was an excellent read.
 


 

Most of these books made it directly onto my 'Favorites' shelf on Goodreads, which is the highest honor reserved for only the books that make me experience high overwrought emotion 😂 Dramatic? A touch, but I can assure you that if you have similar taste in books to me, you'll enjoy every one of these. Read any of them? Drop a comment and tell me what you thought!

And now, on to some anticipated 2021 reads! These are just a few of many, but my immediate TBR looks a little like this:

 

Pictured here are: 

KINGDOM OF THE WICKED by Kerri Maniscalco

RUINSONG by Julia Ember

THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS by Chloe Gong

A DEADLY EDUCATION by Naomi Novik

EACH OF US A DESERT by Mark Oshiro

STAR DAUGHTER by Shveta Thakrar

SOULSWIFT by Megan Bannen 

THE SHADOWS BETWEEN US by Tricia Levenseller 

 

I am additionally excited for upcoming books such as RULE OF WOLVES by Leigh Bardugo (aaaAAAAAAA), BLESSED MONSTERS by Emily A. Duncan (I surely won't survive), LOST IN THE NEVER WOODS by Aiden Thomas, MEET CUTE DIARY by Emery Lee, IN THE RAVENOUS DARK by A.M. Strickland, A PSALM OF STORMS AND SILENCE by Roseanne A. Brown, RAVAGE THE DARK by Tara Sim, CONCRETE ROSE by Angie Thomas, and ALL THE TIDES OF FATE by Adalyn Grace. Basically, there's a lot of books out this year that I cannot wait to get my little hands on. I'm gonna have to start saving up now 😂 

Whew! Lots of books to talk about! I better get started on these if I have any hope of meeting my 40-book Goodreads goal. And speaking of Goodreads, I just got my upcoming book added there and joined the Author Program!! I am so stoked and it's wack to see my little book listed on Goodreads where people can SEE it and mark it as To-Read (which you can do... right here... nudge nudge). We're now just three weeks and three days away from the release of THE ORACLE STONE, and that is simultaneously so LONG but also so SOON. I've been posting teasers for the book over on my instagram, and very very soon I'll announce the little surprise I have in store for paperback orders of the book. Stay tuned!

My new year's writing goal is to get 50k down between January and the end of February. So far I've managed to write every day of 2021 and have 11k done! I'm aiming for at least a thousand words a day, and so far that's been manageable. I'm coming up on the final quarter of my first draft of TRUTHSEEKER, and unfortunately that means I have to stop pantsing and actually plan the last arc of the book so I can then plan out the sequel. Ugh, I actually have to THINK about PLOT things lmao. The audacity. Drafting is the worst.

All right, that's about it for today. Thanks for reading, and I'll see y'all next week!

😎✌🏻 Talli

Carrd

Twitter

Instagram

Website

Comments